Using networking as a proactive job search technique is a great way to source opportunities. You can use it as a way to reconnect and start having some good conversations about plans and goals for 2019. Whilst networking, you can learn about job opportunities that you may not otherwise be aware of, receive advice and information from colleagues or contacts and ultimately be more informed about the job market you are searching in.
Use the top tips below to ensure you shine like a star when networking!
Everyone you know is an important member of your network:
- Take the opportunity to attend Christmas parties, awards ceremonies or festive events, perhaps even organise your own.
- Build a new network, think about who you want to talk to during these networking events.
- Plan and practice your elevator pitch to make a positive first impression.
- Preparation is key, so think of some good questions to open a conversation ahead of the event.
Stay in touch
Once you have engaged with your network maintain contact with them:
- Connect with them on LinkedIn, keeping it professional and make sure you keep in contact with them.
- Reconnect with your contacts by sending Christmas or e-cards with positive greetings to remind them of you.
- Diarise to follow up. Build and maintain rapport and interest by keeping in regular contact with them.
- Treat networking as a two-way system. Your advice or help might be needed too. How can you help them?
Networking isn’t just for job seekers, if you are in a job you can use this festive time of year to build and grow your network too:
- Use the company’s Christmas party or business gatherings to meet key stakeholders in the business.
- Take stock and re-evaluate your career – who can help you to progress your career?
- Focus on making new contacts within the organisation. Take time to understand more about their role/function in the business. The aim is they remember you for future internal opportunities.
- Take time to consider what you want to achieve in 2019, who is in your network and who can help you achieve your goals.
Renovo is one of the UK’s leading providers of outplacement and career transition support. We work with both organisations and individuals to support all their career transition requirements. If you would like to understand how Renovo can help you please call 0800 612 2011 or email email@example.com